The Creator wants us to Drum. (God) wants us to corrupt the world with drums, dance, and chants. We've already corrupted the world with power and greed, which has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time to corrupt the world with drum, dance, and chants.----Babatunde Olatungi, Nigerian master drummer

Friday, February 20, 2009

Impromptu drum session at Disneyworld

Going to Disney World is a trip into other lands and cultures. Last April we took our grandson there for his 4th birthday. I had been to Disneyland in Anaheim many times, since I lived in California until 1987. One of my favorite rides was the Jungleland cruise. Part of it must have been the drummer in me that was attracted to the sounds of African drums coming from this land of adventure!

While at Disneyworld near Jungleland I came upon a space with a covered room filled with djembes! I had to stop and play. The African performers were not yet there, so I started playing on one of the djembes. Soon a bunch of people started gravitating toward the sound of the drums and some joined in playing. I taught them a couple of West African rhythms. A small crowd began to form watching this impromptu drumming seesion. Before long the African performers came and taught those gathered some African songs and chants. It was a blast!

This impropmtu drumming session, right there in Disneyworld, reminded me of the power and joy of the drum and how the sound and the rhythm draws people to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment