The Creator wants us to Drum. (God) wants us to corrupt the world with drums, dance, and chants. We've already corrupted the world with power and greed, which has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time to corrupt the world with drum, dance, and chants.----Babatunde Olatungi, Nigerian master drummer

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A New Journey in Life: Moving to Portland, Oregon


On July 31, 2009 I will be ending my employment as Minister of Peace and Justice with Mennonite Mission Network due to $3.5 million in budget cuts. Around the same time my wife, Iris, accepted a position as Executive Conference Minister for Pacific Northwest Mennonite Conference starting in September. So, we will be moving to Portland, Oregon in August. I grew up and lived in California most of my life, so at least I will be back on the West Coast.

Once I am settled in Portland I will work on re-establishing a Drumming for Peace network and channels for offering my DFP programs in that part of the country. A new network of drumming friends and partners will be great, since I have done my Drumming for Peace programs from the East Coast for 7 years now. I will also be looking for employment, so if anyone is reading this from Portland: I AM LOOKING FOR A JOB, RELATED TO DRUMMING WOULD BE NICE! I will be maintaining this blog through the move. Check back as I share some of my transition to a new place. My hope is that during my newly acquired free time i can write a book on Drumming for Peace with a DVD demonstrating the learning exercises, so others can use the program I have offered in so many places across the U.S. for the last 7 years.

Peace,

Leo Hartshorn
Co-director, Drumming for Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment