The Creator wants us to Drum. (God) wants us to corrupt the world with drums, dance, and chants. We've already corrupted the world with power and greed, which has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time to corrupt the world with drum, dance, and chants.----Babatunde Olatungi, Nigerian master drummer

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Drumming for Peace performances in PA





































































Recently I had the opportunity to perform my interactive Drumming for Peace program at two places. The first place (bottom two photos) I performed was at the Lancaster Mennonite Elementary School in New Danville, PA. I have done the school assembly there before. Both times I work with 150-200 children. In an hour program everyone present gets to participate by switching players in the program. Everyone gets to learn basic peace principles through various drumming exercises.

The second place I performed was at the Ten Thousand Villages warehouse (top two photos) in Brownsville, PA for the staff. Ten Thousand Villages is a self-help craft organization that markets crafts of people around the world to provide them with a means of support for themselves, their families, and villages (http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/). My interactive performance coincided with the kick off of their World Fair Trade Day on May 9 with the theme of "Bang your drum for a fair trade solution." As a gift they gave me a bunch of small pencil drums made in Nairobi, Kenya (http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/home.php).

No comments:

Post a Comment