The Creator wants us to Drum. (God) wants us to corrupt the world with drums, dance, and chants. We've already corrupted the world with power and greed, which has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time to corrupt the world with drum, dance, and chants.----Babatunde Olatungi, Nigerian master drummer

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Drumming at Tha Myx, Denver, Colorado




From Last Friday to last Sunday I was in Denver, Colorado at a church conference on urban ministry. I brought along my djembe in case there might be opportunity to play. I had two opportunities for public performance. The first chance I had to play was during an "urban plunge" last Saturday. The idea was for a group of us to walk a predetermined route through the city of Denver and observe the sights, sounds, smells and texture of the portion of the city we had been assigned. Our route took us downtown. I brought along my Toca fiberglass djembe, hoping to play and create a spontaneous musical encounter. When we got downtown we took a side route to an open mall area near 16th street. There weren't many people around on on a Sunday afternoon, but I broke out my djembe and began playing downtown. A few people stopped to listen. Some waiting for a horse drawn carriage moved to the beat. Others on the benches nearby listened as I played for about 20 minutes.

The second opportunity to play was at a congregation called "Tha Myx" billed as a hip hop church. I brought my djembe to church, which I've done if I suspect the church is spontaneous and rhythmic. Tha Myx was that kind of church. The pastor, "Age" is a hip hop recording artist. His congregation ministers in a tough part of Denver. The members were predominantly Latino/a. Like the pastor, a number of the members are former gang members and felons. During the week they have a hip hop service.The service I played at was only the 5th service they have held on a Sunday morning. Some of the members belong to the Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club: http://www.myspace.com/464874255

When I came in I asked "Age" if the church would welcome a guest drummer. He said, "Sure" and introduced me to the music director, who led the contemporary praise band. He set a seat for me on stage and I joined in the music during the service. The musicians appreciated what I added to the "mix." I loved playing along with the contemporary Christian praise music, but didn't care much for the conservative theology. I have yet to find a church that has funky, rockin' music and at the same time progressive, prophetic theology. Maybe someday I will find that mythic church.

Links to the articles on Denver experience: http://www.mennoniteusa.org/Home/News/tabid/65/EntryID/132/Default.aspx; http://www.mennoweekly.org/byline/brian-yoder-schlabach/

No comments:

Post a Comment