The Creator wants us to Drum. (God) wants us to corrupt the world with drums, dance, and chants. We've already corrupted the world with power and greed, which has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time to corrupt the world with drum, dance, and chants.----Babatunde Olatungi, Nigerian master drummer

Monday, August 2, 2010

2003 Staley Lecture: Rhythmic and Irenic Pedagogy or Teaching Peace with a Funky Beat

In 2003 I was surprised to be invited to do the Staley Lecture at Bethel College Newton, Kansas on Drumming for Peace! I had only started the program a year earlier near the same time I received my doctorate, which was in Anabaptist preaching. Who was I to be giving the Staley Lecture. But, I affirmed the invitation. My lecture covered biblical and cultural background on drumming and transforming the drum, often used in war, to become an instrument of peace. At the end of my lecture I performed several teaching exercises with plastic buckets and sticks using students attending the lecture, an unusual lecture indeed! The lecture is listed at: http://www.bethelks.edu/academics/lectures/staley.php I just found a CD of the lecture and translated into a form I could download. So, here it is. Click title, even though it says it is not available. It is.


01 Staley Lecture 2003 Rhythmic and Irenic Pedagogy or Teaching Peace with a Funky Beat by Leo Hartshorn

No comments:

Post a Comment